Behind the Laughter

Behind the Laughter
I thought I'd take a little break to talk about the real life behind these last few additions to my collection of original Comedy Sketches. My sense of being treated somewhat as a number by the government created the imagery in my mind for Drawn to Humanity about human resources. I stumbled on it by grumbling to myself early yesterday morning, as I was thinking about it, and I ended up saying, 'you have no opinion, get back in the drawer.' The day before that, I was rather brutally heckled by a couple of juveniles-under-the-influence on the bus. My kidney was sore and I was just returning from the doctor, but I still had to get out before my stop to escape the damn continuous verbal assault, which led me to bitterly criticize our monstrous school system in Modern Modesty: Schools. The day before that, I wanted to write Nettle the Wise Man: Confucius because I'd learned about the village goody men from page 192 of the Analects. There Liu Baonan says that Confucius referred to those who covet fame as like the village goody men, men he berated as the ruin of virtue because they would do anything to have their name known. I now recall stumbling on this reference in 2007, during a simple Google search for 'Confucius peeves'. The warped history presented in Modern Modesty: Women's Fashion was, I thought, a newer idea, and I'm keen to share those whenever I think of them. Before that, we have Onomatopoeia and 'U', which appears to have been stolen and divided between Jay Leno and another comedian. And finally, we have last Saturday's Nettle the Wise Man: Aristotle, where I play at testing Aristotle's celebrated moderation. I know that nettling wise men is an unusual pastime, but it is entirely innocent, and the TV networks certainly didn't seem to mind - as long as they could say they wrote it, along with everything else, among their large number, stripping me of all recognition for my superhuman one-man effort.

So who took the one about Confucius? Saturday Night Live again? Which cast members? Did they bring in that CBC psychopath yet? Was he the one who stole some of that blog about Onomatopoeia? Did he split that with Jay Leno? I recall Jay Leno stealing my Polish gunshots. The networks must have thought that their burgeoning staffs of stars and writers could never think of anything better than one man's blog post - thousands and thousands of times over years and years of broadcasts. But for a large gang, they sure commanded a lot of individual attention and enormous public respect through the TV cameras, eh? Far more than I've been getting all along. I'll just walk my poor kidney home now, thanks to my great success as an artist.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2018. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out with the Old

The Netherwork: Deception Span

Pitiful Excuse